19 October 2009

Don't Forget the Advil

I've just about pulled out all of my curls, one by one. College Application drudgery, like childbirth, is a memory that I'd most like to bury deep, "Oh, this will be fun! Let's visit 23 college campuses in 8 weeks then submit applications, paperwork, and promise firstborns to half of them! Why not, we have nothing else to do!" I'm going through this life event for the first time with my oldest son and I am thankful that I have a five year reprive before I have to do it again. When I do I will certainly mention to son No. 3 to take notes, I will not repeat myself! With the idea of visiting college after college came the thought of reliving some sweet memories of days gone by. The carefree, independent, world-at-my-fingertips feeling going off as a college student gave. I was so anxious to step back onto a campus full of life, youth and promise. Then I took my teenager with me! Nothing could be more agonizing! Many times he refused to exit the vehicle once we drove the two plus hours, made four wrong turns and with the tank on "E" chugged into the last remaining parking spot on campus 20 mins. late for the welcome session. This is where I'd hear the familiar declaration, "I'm not going in there! This place sucks!" First of all, that word a year ago was not allowed in their vocabulary. Now, it's the definitive vernacular I wait for with baited breath to learn whether he will bestow the honor of his presence and actually make application to this particular institution of higher learning! Well, I anticipated this reaction so we did begin the process early. A year ago exactly...to the day as I write. Now we find ourselves five applications into the process and wondering if it's all worth it. Where will he get accepted? Will he make a mark? Will he thrive and mature and find who he is on this campus? Will he meet his future bride? Many say that life is not fate but all about your choices. I kind of think it's a bit of both. I know from my own experiences that much of what I am today is because of the choices I've made...or didn't make. We are about to help our son make one of these larger than life choices that will determine the fate of, at the minimum, his next four years. Quite possibly and most probably the rest of his life. At this juncture we are just happy we are getting the online applications filled in properly then assembling the stack of required paperwork and delivering it to the appropriate authorities! Can it be more complicated? And FAFSFA..isn't that a Greek Pastry?? I don't know, I'm sure I'm stressing too much and that everything will fall into place beautifully. I'm hoping he has some choices and that he finds the perfect place to bloom and grow. I cherish my collegiate experience and count it as some of the best years of my life. I want that for my son, too. I am hoping that this roll of the dice kind of a process will prove beneficial in the long run. We can only hope that the applicant is presented in the best possible light and that one of these colleges sees something special within him and gives him a shot at building a good foundation for the rest of his life. Heavy stuff when you think about it. Now, back to the checklist. Thanks for reading! Miriam

No comments: