17 December 2009

Auld Lang Syne, My Friends!

"May Old Aquaintance Be Forgot...and never called to mind....." We know the tune, but at this juncture in the holiday season, we need to take some time to reconnect, rekindle and renew some old friendships or family connections needing nurturing. The year is closing and a new year is ahead. It seems like just yesterday that we whooped it up as we ushered in the year 2000! The first decade of the 21st century is behind us and we have so much to be grateful for. It's hard to believe how much has transpired over the past ten years and thinking about what is ahead in the next ten is mindboggling. To keep things in perspective, I am spending this holiday with friends and family that mean so much to me. I've cut down on the shoulds and oughta's and I am focusing on their wants and needs. I'm making a short list of goals for the coming year, and I'm keeping it simple so that I can be not only realistic but successful at reaching my goals. This is an excellent time to be making a to-do list for the coming decade. Can't fail here when we give ourselves an entire ten years to accomplish such a list! Of course, by doing this I don't mean to add undue pressure but having goals and maybe even a few dreams isn't so bad. In ten years my children will be grown and I will be an empty nester on a new journey. While my children are still home I am going to focus on nurturing our relationships. They are virtually new people, no longer small children but teens with their own identities, ideas and desires. I sometimes find it difficult to remember they rarely need my daily direction but moreso guidance and encouragement as they make their own decisions and choices. In a few years they will all be out of college and carving their own way which will leave me time to carve mine and I sometimes wonder what my life will be like. We don't have to leave it to chance, we can steer the course ourselves and I am looking forward to where the voyage into the next decade will lead. EDC Weekly Inspiration will be taking a vacation until after the new year to ponder this question, therefore, I will wish you now a wonderful holiday and a very Happy New Year! See you in 2010!

No comments: