24 November 2008

Alligator be gone!

I don't know about you all but I am preoccupied with my skin these days after the natural drying and shriveling of the winter has somehow already begun! Once the heat is turned on, it's all over for my skin! I know natural moisture depletes as we age, but give me a break! I took a little time to do some research and thought I'd impart some of my findings on to you. I have been plagued with dry skin all my life, which had served me well as a teen, no classic breakouts or weekend panic after using the last Stridex! Only the occasional bump with my pregnancies. I could deal. But this dry, alligator skin is relentless and oh, so unattractive. So, here's what I found that might be of use. Did you know that according to statistics 50 million dollars was spent last year along on nutricosmetics-products designed to repair dry, damaged and wrinkled skin? WOW! There are many things we can do besides special treatments, plastic surgery and the like to help our skin resist the damages of aging, sun, and forced air heat! As far as your food consumption, we can all improve our eating habits usually, but to help your skin retain it's tone, texture and resist sagging and wrinkling eat a diet of lean proteins, fresh fruits and vegetables and keep to the whole grains in your breads and pastas. This diet is not only great for your waistline but helps to keep your skin vital as well. Women in your forties and fifties, your hormones fluctuate at a rapid rate and breakouts, mentioned above, surprisingly plague women in this bracket. The drop in estrogen contributes to the dryness in the skin. A good retinol cream is great for bringing moisture back into your skin and can be added into your evening routine. Only use specially designed eye creams for the sensitive area surrounding the eye. Co-enzyme Q10 or any other cream with anti-inflammatory properties helps improve elasticity. I've heard the rumors of Preparation H working wonders here...but I've yet to bring myself to try it A place for everything and everything in it's place, I always say! Instead, a diet high in Omega 3 fatty acids helps to maintain natural radiance in your skin and aids in reducing puffiness. Specifically for women in their fifties, sebum, the natural oils present in our skin ,tends to decrease yearly. If you will use the most emollient product your skin can tolerate, even in your cleansers, you should see benefits in this area. For a procedure sure to pack a punch and defend fine lines and age spots, TCA-Trichloroacetic acid treatment, or a 70% glycolic acid peel can help. On my favs list, http://www.gorgeouslygreen.com/, Sophie says soak in a bathtub of bath oils from luscious places like http://www.bathme.com/ , for instance, a lavender bath tea, which will help to reduce stress and help relax your body. Add in a couple of drops of olive oil to soften the skin. Yum! Doesn't this sound so inviting on a cold winter night? Aromafoiria For Feets Sake, double action spa foot scrub is great for exfoliating and moisturizing those tired puppies. Visit http://www.aromafloria.com/. Jane Iredale mineral cosmetics produces my possibly very newest fav in the lip balm category! Still love my Trish McAvoy but you must try this product! Lip Drink with SPF 15 is just amazing. I could slather myself with it if I could but it's only a lip appropriate tube! But thanks Jane...love it! www.janeiredale.com If you love browsing Bath and Body Works, as I do, you will find some great tried and trues here ,too. Of the True Blue Spa series some of my personal "must haves" are the Look Ma, New Hands hand cream. I'm still insane over this product. They must never, ever discontinue or they'll be hearing from moi! It's only $12 for the 2.5 oz tube and $18.50 for the 5oz. pump. Why does it work so well on my dry crusty digits? Paraffin locks in moisture to bring you softer, smoother and more hydrated skin all day. I think I've mentioned this in the past also, and while this product is still and always will be amazing, it's only to be used sparingly and at night when you are totally finished with any other task. Elizabeth Arden 8-Hour Cream is, in my opinion, one of the fastest-acting products out there for dry hands, cracked feet, etc., etc., however, if you try to touch anything with it, if you're able to pry it off your hands the grease spot will be practically permanent but it's worth it. I hope some of this is helpful in combating your dry skin issues and prevents it from becoming an ordeal. Here in PA we have a long, chilly road ahead of us, and after already receiving a white wintry blast, I fear I must stock up on my products now before I'm snowed in, so I'd best be going! Thanks for reading! Miriam

No comments: