16 November 2008

To continue the theme...

In this time of preparation to give thanks, I expound on this and remind you once again how very important it is to spend time with those that mean the most to you. Tell them, not just now, in the season of giving, but always. My aunt recently lost her husband and while she has so many memories to cherish, her heart is broken. People fall ill all the time and we sometimes don't deal with it because it is too hard to go to that person and tell them what they mean to us before it's too late. Do it while you have the opportunity. Just sit and be together. I attended two family weddings this weekend, one from my side, one from my husbands'. I was surrounded by three generations of my family! How wonderful it feels to be together in a room full of people that I love and who love me back! These occasions are so fleeting and I tried to cherish the moment with each sibling, cousin, aunt, uncle and great aunt as we get so caught up in the busy days that pass too quickly. Our two beautiful young cousins and their handsome young husbands have their whole lives to plan and to share with us all. It's a very settling feeling seeing the cycle continue. A few days back I had a heartwarming conversation with an old college friend that made me smile the entire day, and at moments brought a few tears. I cherish these conversations always and have tried to make it a point to let my friend know. We met when we were so young and our entire lives were before us. We had dreams and plans, and after an astounding 30 years after meeting we can talk like time has stood still. The directions our lives took is vastly different than we thought it might, the good, the bad and the ugly, but we are still there for each other. Cherish these friends, these memories and make the conversation happen. Though some are divorced, have moved away or have chosen the path to go it alone, reach out often. I don't know if aging is what is bringing me to such introspection, I guess I'm okay with aging...I'll be sure to do it as gracefully as I can. I only know I am a very rich person to have so many people that care about me and count myself incredibly blessed after all these years of collecting friendships; ones that I plan to have forever. Peace, Miriam

No comments: