28 January 2009

Michelle Obama-mania!

I will say that I've read commentary upon commentary regarding Mrs. Obama's wardrobe choices on Inauguration day and I really don't know why everyone feels so entitled to critique. Why does she have to live up to any one's particular standard? Why does she have to outdo Jackie O to make people happy? Why can't she be who she is? I know there are inflamed people because she didn't choose pieces designed by an African American. She did choose her inaugural ensemble from a female designer and her gown for the balls from a 20-something minority male. Doesn't that count for something, folks? Doesn't the fact that she looked comfortable, poised and confident in her own skin say something? Was I loving the fabric of the Toledo piece? Maybe not so much but the look worked. The color was fresh and well intended. The J. Crew green gloves are just like mine in my closet! The Jimmy Choo's, perfect! I loved the casual air the cashmere and jacket tie imparted. Personally, I'm glad to see she wasn't ensconced in a full mink walking down Pennsylvania Avenue...what a field day that would have caused. The one shoulder Wu gown was fresh, clean and I think probably a good example of her personality shining through. Let's all embrace the youth and confidence that Mrs. Obama exuded that historical day to America. I hear tell that she is the Presidents' rock, so if she is solid in who she is, there's a good chance he is too! Leave the microscopes home please, paparazzi and style critiques and let the woman be who she is, we can judge her on that with good intention.

1 comment:

MomSpace said...

Well Said!
Joani
MomSpace