05 May 2009

Mom's Day Should be Everyday

Well, now....Mother's Day is right around the corner and while it can be just another holiday to exploit in the retail business, it really has a significance if you don't get to see your mother every day and make every day Mother's Day, as it should be. When you're a mom and you are busy with the daily ins and outs of raising your family, dinners, carpools, doctors' appointments, play dates and squabbles, yes, I do agree that every day is, and should be Mothers' Day. But not in the way of constant mani/pedi's that you're thinking. Shower me with hugs and kisses; that's my gift. My cherished, warm, heartfelt hug that I get each morning, times trois, when my boys awake and again when they climb into bed is all I need to sustain me each day. Nothing compares. Sometimes I have to remember this when they are throwing living animals and sharp objects at each other. Well, it's not quite THAT bad but there are times during most days that I wonder how I got myself into this. Then I tuck them into bed at night and get that amazing hug and see the deep love in their eyes and I am reminded again. For those of us who don't get to give that hug each day to our mothers, this day is important. And it has to be important for just that reason. I won't see my mother on Mother's Day this year but I am sending her the love, the thanks and the warm hug via snailmail. I know she'll feel it. She's a mom. I don't think it's a feeling that you can ever forget because it comes from a love that you can't custom select from an online website or a personal classified. I love my husband, I did choose him. He's a great guy and he'll get his accolades on Fathers' Day. But those children...well, there is nothing that compares to the gift I receive each and every day from being their mother. So you Moms out there, if they shower you with flowers, breakfast in bed and oodles of trinkets, cherish it all with enthusiasm but make sure you garner your share of bear hugs and hold on tight for all you've got. There will probably come a day you'll need that memory to pull from when you're far from your children and they want you to feel it. Like I do this Mothers' Day. Love ya, Mom! Miriam

No comments: