23 May 2009

Spring Has Finally Shown its Face?

The sun is finally shinning upon us and I, for one, am totally and completely invigorated by it! I am thinking that maybe, just maybe, it's here to stay! Living in Pennsylvania the springtime season is anticipated like the last lap of the Kentucky Derby. We know it's inevitable but the final result is any one's guess. Growing up in North Carolina as a young child I took the climate for granted. Little did I know that one day I'd be living in the Northeast reluctantly peeling the layers one month at a time anticipating and hoping for the sun and the warmth that follows. We are teased constantly, with 90 degree days in April followed by freezing temps and frost in May when we should be completely confident in the thought that our newly planted seedlings will soon bring us joyful color and tasty vegetables. Instead, we are mandated to bring the pots inside for the night and cover the delicate blooms with burlap and hope for the best. Just when we think spring is here to stay, we're hit with the heat and humidity traditional to the deep south like some child took a wild spin of the globe and shifted the latitudinal lines just enough to make us think, maybe we really are in Kansas, Dorothy! That said, what will you do with your free time these next few weeks before the sweltering heat descends and the A/C switch is flipped 'til Trick or Treat? Here's a list of my hopefuls. While my to-do list will, of course, involve obligations relating to my first job of wife and mother and my second job here with Equilibrium Design, if I had 24/7 this is what I'd squeeze in between the sunbeams. Bike rides, shrub pruning, evening walks, home-made ice cream, strolls on the footpath at the park, dining al fresco, evenings in the city window shopping, bulb transferring, hammock swinging, splashing in a pool, floating on a raft, fishing in a stream, laying on the beach, reading a huge novel, painting the shutters, attending an outdoor concert, watching fireworks, visiting the winery, re caning my chairs, visiting Limerick Outlets, Hershey Park at night, skateboarding with my kids...oh, you get the idea... Make your personal summer "bucket list" and get busy! I think very soon, while we might get rained on here and there the warmer weather is here and I am going to do all I can to cherish every minute. You do the same! Miriam

No comments: