02 June 2009

Judge Sotomayor a Rolemodel for All!

What you make of yourself is totally up to you...and the alignment of the stars! Anything is possible! I tell that to my boys all the time and I would have liked to have had a daughter that I could tell that to also. Sonia Sotomayor, a young woman raised in the South Bronx, rose to fame and power on a wing and a prayer...and ALOT of hard work! She bravely ventured out of her comfort zone in the Bronx to attend Princeton University. Her stars were definitely in alignment as she paved her way from Princeton to Yale. With hard work, dedication and a dream, she is the first Hispanic nomination for Supreme Court Justice of the United States of America. Fantastic! No pixie dust needed here! What next? What can we hope for from our young women? Will they reach goals unimaginable as did Sotomayor? Will they dream bigger because of her? Does she inspire our young men as well? I hope so! While some of her rulings have been overturned, and I believe one is awaiting a decision in the courts now, she set a precedent and it is a good one. And hey, she saved Baseball! What young boy isn't thankful to her for that! I would love to have lived her dream. It took dedication and a mindset unwaivering. She insists on being noted for her ordinary life and ordinary self. I find her to be extraordinary and I am inspired, whether I fully support her ideals or not. She had something inside her that lit a passion to make a difference and I hope that our young people who are moving into the workforce during these hard economic times can feel a passion to make a difference too. I hope they can see through the glare and the fog and have a vision for themselves as she did. I am inspired and I hope that you are too. Inspire yourself to do something new and bold. Take a chance. Risk something even if it is only to try a new sport or a class in oil painting. Who knows where it will lead! There is no statute of limitations on dreaming dreams and setting goals! Miriam

No comments: