16 February 2011

Clutter-Free Closets are soooo....Freeing!

I'm wondering how many of you have already felt the need to tackle this project? And who has been putting it off? The dreaded closet clean up. It's a simple task, really, but somehow we get sweaty palms just thinking about digging in and getting started. I think, mostly, because what is found buried inside can usually lead to another project or two that must now be addressed. There's a snowball effect with closet cleanup because Lord knows what's truly hidden in those dark corners! So let's brave it together, shall we? My closet gets a general tidying up probably every other month, mostly because I can't even step inside if it doesn't. Some closets in the home aren't touched for a year or more, not until junk starts falling on my head when I open the door and I have to slam the door shut before my strategically placed object propels itself back at me. I hate to admit this fact, but it's true. These are the places that need the most attention. Serious attention. Obviously, I'm bordering on hoarding here! Why? What is contained that is so important? Probably not alot. Ask yourself that when your junk drawer or your linen closet overflows. Do you even remember? Empty the contents, sort the items and make sure there's a trash bag at the ready so you don't have to give something a second thought if it's ready for disposal. Has it outlived it's shelf life? Has anyone searched for it in the past year? Do you have three multiples? Do you remember why you put it there in the first place? Can it be recycled, repurposed or is it just plain refuse? Make the decision now and move on. Spring is just around the corner, I know you don't trust this right now as we have inches upon inches of snow covering the ground, but it will be here before we know it and we will turn our attention outside. Take some time over the next couple of weeks to give attention to those areas that aren't generally seen and give them a good sprucing up. Buy some nice scented shelf paper and some rattan baskets and get organized! I know you'll be happy that you did once the task is complete. With all these snow days maybe you can enlist a child or two for some help. Good luck...it's a very cleansing process and I promise you'll feel the ahhhhhhh at completion! Thanks for reading! Miriam Below is the link for Sunday's Organize This on topic. http://dailylocal.com/articles/2011/01/23/life/srv0000010696091.txt

No comments: