16 February 2011

Get Inspired by Your Resolutions!

Getting it all together takes time and a little spunk! Happy New Year one and all! It's 2011, where the time goes, I am not sure. My family and I were just reminiscing about our 2000 celebration and what a short time ago that seems! The only thing my middle son remembers is when the lobster tried to climb out of the lobster pot; a memory he'll not soon forget! So while we stand here in awe of the rapid passing of time I am also in awe of the volume of mementos, memories and downright useless clutter that has accumulated right along with the ticking of the clock. As referenced in my Organize This column this week I used to have a loathing for the new year and the failed resolutions. Now I look at the month of January and its' thirty one days of possibility as a challenge and a goal setting time. I am excited by the opportunities and the long winter days that lend themselves to productivity indoors. Whether it's a home project, an organizational task or researching and planning summer activities, it is a welcome day each day for success and accomplishment. I've decided that chunking up my goals instead of setting one great big seemingly insurmountable "resolution" means more success for me and therefore, more positive vibes for an occasional pat on the back for reaching my goal. Do you have tasks left undone or a wish for yourself that you haven't dedicated the time and energy to? Make a short, doable list. The key is to make it manageable. If you have a houseful of kids and homework, sports, part-time job, etc., don't set the goal of trekking to the top of Mt. Washington just yet. Maybe something more attainable and equally satisfying. Cleaning out the closets, toy chests, car trunk or garage would be a good start. Okay, quite possibly not as personally fulfilling as climbing Mt. Washington but definitely has its satisfaction quota. Move on to tasks with more bang once you get warmed up! I've heard the usual weight loss commitments flying about and I can sense success in the air if there is a dangling carrot and a mission plan. A goal such as a reunion, wedding or graduation will work with an attainable time frame. A thought out course of action and a cheer leading squad in the form of supportive family or friends on your side all help to bring success to a task that may seem daunting and insurmountable. Don't try to go it alone but you can and will be successful with a plan of action and dedication to yourself. Do it for you and nobody else and you will be triumphant! Best wishes and best of luck with your new goals for 2011! Have fun making, breaking and remaking commitments to your goals and don't be hard on yourself if you fall. There's 365 days to get it right! Happy New Year~and good luck! Thanks for reading! Miriam DL: Forging Ahead with Purpose while Welcoming the New Year. http://dailylocal.com/articles/2010/12/26/life/srv0000010373047.txt

No comments: