01 April 2013

Getting sorted through the junk


So, in a past column for the Daily Local I wrote about some great options for doing a good spring cleaning at your home. To recap a bit, some familiar and usual methods are filling trash bags and cans until you can fill no more. Renting a large dumpster, that really doesn’t serve anyone unless they are doing a big, big job, such as a kitchen redo. Also the 1-800-Junk guys are a decent option, but again, it’s costly so you’d best have a lot of junk to cart away.
 
One option I stumbled upon recently was the Bagster. Purchased at Home Depot for $29.99 it is a woven, biodegradable bag 8’x4’x2’. It sits on the driveway for you to fill to the brim, then once filled all you have to do is call a 1-800 number and a truck will come and remove it for a fee of  approximately $130. I think this is just right for me and I can’t wait to get started.

But somehow…I can’t seem to get started. I’m trying to figure out why. It’s something I’ve wanted and needed to do for quite a while. We have lived in our home for 15 yrs. And we have raised our boys here. Granted we have spent a lot of time sorting through items as the years have progressed and the kids have grown. We don’t keep every single item ever purchased. Still, however, there does seem to be a lot that we just aren’t making use of. 

I have donated, consigned and re purposed to death and back…but again, there is still an awful lot that goes unused. Would I prefer to see it go to a good home and find a use, of course I would. A yard sale would be the perfect solution. We seem to faithfully miss the township yard sale every single fall due to one obligation or another. So that was never the perfect option. I would need a solid week of full days with nothing else to focus on but this in order to host my own and my life just doesn’t enable me to dedicated seven straight days to just one task. So, therefore, the Bagster is my friend.
 
I am hoping that whatever is in my way will get out sooner than later. I know it will be difficult tossing out perfectly good and useful items that I’ve saved a very long time, or that just might have some sentimentality attached to it but today is the day those angsts will be tossed out the  window. Today, April 1, I am starting the task of room by room digging out and throwing out. Check back with me in a few and see how I’m doing! And as always, thanks for Reading! Miriam

1 comment:

Miriam said...

Sure...I'll comment. Still sitting at the dang computer! Ha! And just realized I forgot to post for March...so here it is! Happy St. Patty's Day ya'll!!!! :>)