14 September 2009

Be the best YOU you can be!

Be the best YOU you can be! Present the best you in all ways. How do we accomplish this, you ask? Many times we are rushed, we are stressed, we are tired or sick; the moon is full, the kids are angst-ridden. However, when all is parallel with the universe we can strive to be present in who we are. I was working on this task the other day, actually. With a birthday around the corner I was reassessing who it is that I want to put out there to the world. There are many versions of myself; the friend, the sister, the mother, the volunteer, the business owner. I realized that the image I had in my mind of myself was evolving as I strolled through the aisles of the department store at the mall. I think my inner eye sees a new woman with the arrival of a new decade. Ten years ago I was in a different place and the persona I was visualizing and projecting was a different woman; a younger woman. I am looking ahead to a more refined, mature image for myself without losing my jois de vivre, of course! This concept can be found to be true in every aspect of our lives; as in the business person we choose to project at our jobs; as in the homes we create and how we'd like people to feel while visiting there; as In the parents we choose to be; layed back, helicopter, best buddies, disciplinarians. Most of us do tend to fluctuate between many different versions of ourselves probably in all areas of our lives. Our moods dictate. The company we keep dictates and the phase of our lives dictates. Not to say we should be fickle but I guess what I'm trying to say is that somewhere in there is an ever changing, evolving person who usually needs some grooming and fine tuning as life changes occur. Being flexible is always key in all aspects of life experiences but a rooted identity in who we are, what we represent and how we choose to live our lives day to day should be a solid core that keeps us respectable. Take some time to discover who you put out there to the world. Would you choose yourself as a friend if you were meeting "you" for the first time? Do you act, dress and behave in a manner reflective of your responsibilities, position in your family or business? Do you need some fine tuning? Don't we all? Start on the inside and work out. From words spoken (I mess up here all the time!) to the clothes we wear, speaks volumes as a first impression and there does come a time when less is more. Although now that I've found my "voice" I really feel pretty darn confident that I'm entitled to speak it after decades of feeling stifled by fear, lack of confidence or good ole' southern manners. Manners are important, don't get me wrong! I'm working to strike a balance with the next half century and I'm giving myself permission to refine my entire being and will enjoy the process. So, back to the mall I go; I think I need a new LBD for the new, matured me! Thanks for reading! Miriam

No comments: