03 February 2010

Massaaahhhhhge Inspiration!

Can't de-stress if you're not stressed yet. So, here's a thought. If you add more stress to your life prior to a non-stressful event, will you appreciate it more? This is an experiment I was willed to participate in, apparently, although, not intentionally. Heading to NYC for a long weekend of fun and celebration with a bunch of friends, I decided that a visit to the spa would be just the ticket needed as an pre-weekend activity. Called, scheduled, simple. Well, little did I know I'd have to earn that massage. Being the fully engaged and tuned in person that I am aspiring to these days, I actually paid attention to the 6am traffic report and heard mention of an eighteen wheeler that toppled between here and my destination a short ten miles away. Perfect! NOT! I'll pick up my friend, Virginia who is joining me, head in the general direction then detour to the back roads and avoid the mess. Immediately upon entering the highway, traffic was already at a standstill. No problem, we'll just patiently inch our way up the highway...hey, are we moving or is that just the scenery?...I'll get off the next exit and cut through. What is this I see, a road block? The lovely, winding country roads are totally and completely jammed with clever people who have the same thought process as I do. But still, no worries, My Enclave has OnStar and I'm sure my little friend- in-a-box will save us since the "back" back roads; I can't negotiate on my own. Unfortunately, OnStar is two steps behind me instead of two steps ahead so that didn't work at all. Frustration mounts as our head start has been zapped to already tardy. Now, aren't we heading to a spa to relax and rejuvenate ourselves? Perfect, I'll get all notched up and unnerved and my massage therapist will earn her wages today. OnStar tried to reroute us but to no avail. Then I remembered...I have a friend who lives here in the hinterland and she'll bail me out, I know she will! Thank goodness Sue was home with a stomach bug (sorry Sue, but thanks!) Thirty minutes late to our destination and seeing stars from my bubbling blood pressure we were obviously turned away with a smile, but as luck would have it they were obligingly offering to flip-flop our day so we could lunch first, spa later. All was right again with our world and really, no worse for wear. Luckily the cafe was able to accommodate us early and lunch was ordered. The potato leek soup arrived steaming hot and piquant, anticipated greatly on this chilly January late morning. My friend, Virginia, reaches for her seasonings, a tad of pepper...a dash of salt....but wait...who forgot to tighten the salt shaker cap? Salt soup NOT on the menu! Can we please have a Depends to contain our "laughter"!!! If I don't get to that spa and force myself to relax I'm going to have a conniption! Luckily for us we picked a winner! What an amazing respite. Soothing sounds, luxurious linens and aromas to relax and revitalize, refresh and renew. I don't think I've enjoyed one spa service quite so much as today! Well earned. My advice; stress is never a good thing to have in your life but being able to laugh at it is. And sloughing it off (pun intended!) with a luxurious spa service doesn't hurt either! Thanks for reading! Miriam

No comments: