28 February 2010

Conflict Resolution

Can I hear a big shout out for Springtime? I hate to keep ruminating over the weather but I'm really using my newfound meditation skills to envision blue skies, green grass and warm breezes. How 'bout you? In the meantime, until it's official arrival how about we work on some other projects needing attention? One such project calling my name is how the heck am I going to juggle the spring sports schedule successfully without making myself and others around me into whirling dervishes. Well, ok, so that probably isn't going to be possible, but I am going to try to at least get everyone where they need to be with the proper equipment and without getting a speeding ticket...maybe. Scheduling with three active boys is difficult; frantic at worst, chaotic at best. But that's the way it is. I do invest in an amazing calendar to keep our days decluttered to the minute. www.timemine.com creates the most well organized calendar I've found. It is presented in many sizes and styles to suit the various needs of different family structures. Check Borders, only place I can find it without online ordering. I go for the big kahuna and it works for me. Doesn't fit in my pocket or my handbag, for that matter, but it does keep us incredibly on track. Using multiple highlighters helps too. Each child is assigned a designation, whether it be an initial, a color, etc. As soon as I get my hands on the schedules I carefully enter practices and games; doublecheck then highlight accordingly. I prefer using initials myself so if I have to erase, I'm not leaving confusion in my wake with color designations applicable to none. I definitely use a specific warning color when there are conflicts that present issues; and there always are, especially when the weather dictates a rescheduling. This is when it can get really tricky and I usually have to engage a backup plan like a carpool. Of course, once the sports are entered into the calendar then we have all the other obligations that take place. CCD, music lessons, band practices, concerts, orthodontic appointments., etc. It's a finely tuned orchestration that is never set in stone but with good communication (thank goodness for my iphone!) and an up to date calendar (don't forget to immediately make changes as soon as you get the information!) then I think we can get through the next four months. Everyone in the household knows the routine and it works like a well oiled machine come late April, and thank goodness for that! At least I hope it will this year! Too many stumbling blocks to count but I will persevere. Talk to me in June and see how we did. Good luck to you too! Let the frenzy begin! Thanks for reading! Miriam

No comments: