02 February 2010

Unexpected Inspiration

"Patience is a virtue, possess it if you can. Seldom in a woman, never in a man"! How many times did I hear this recited from the lips of my mother? I would be a wealthy woman if I were paid for listening time and again. I find myself instantly repeating this for my boys many times, but I give a condensed version as I don't want them to think I don't have patience myself! Which I do actually have...until I don't anymore. I guess, I probably am a wealthy woman from learning to incorporate this little verse into my daily life. Some times I'm richer for it than others, of course. Things happen that are beyond our control time and time again. We must be as prepared as we can for life's twists and turns. A few ways that we might be successful at this is to incorporate some type of life skill where we can step away from the situation and regroup. For some people it's a long walk or a run. For others it's an intense kickbox workout. For still others it's yoga or meditation. Even journaling can help provide clarity and an outlet for feelings that aren't easily processed at the moment when the stress seems insurmountable. Having other areas of your life decluttered and organized can give you the time you need to learn to practice patience and control. When life is chaotic and disorganized so are our responses to outside pressures that arise. I find when I am on time, have less demands on myself and have "all my ducks in a row" so to speak, I am more able to deal with a suddenly stressful situation more clearly and effectively. Think about when you were last flustered and ferklempt. Were you being pulled in too many directions, dealing with many issues at once and at your wits end with your patience? Didn't you step back later on and think, I could have certainly handled that much better, I know that was a reaction response that exhibited itself under stress. Get proper rest so you aren't dealing with stressors with sleep deprivation. Eat as healthfully as you can. Stay on top of your mail, your chores, your children's to-do list and settle up with things at days' end. Don't transfer more to the next days' to-do list than is reasonable. The patience will present itself when you need it if you enter into a problem feeling free and able to handle anything. Asking too much of yourself is asking for trouble. Thanks for reading! Miriam

No comments: