03 March 2010

Mindful Awareness for Everyday

Make priorities when times are tough. Balance is key in everything. My business has, like many, taken an anticipated hit with the financial climate as we know it. Life has it's own twists and turns as well. During this time of flux and uncertainty I have learned it is more important than ever to make priorities for myself and stick to them. Many times I have found myself floundering because I'm in a territory I've never been before. I am nurturing a business that is dependent on people having busy lives and a need and right now the economic downturn is effecting my bottom line. Just when I thought I had it all figured out! Our family is preparing to send our first son off to college. Many people do this every year, but somehow, this task is daunting and mysterious for us. Couple this with this years' share of broken bones and the ensuing physical therapy, Lymes disease, emergency surgeries, aging issues, etc. I really forget to sometimes focus and keep the proverbial nose to the grindstone. What is my personal grindstone anyway? I'm a mom and that's first. When something needs tending to, it will be my own personal needs, aspirations and obligations that fall by the wayside, (but only for the moment). That's ok. I'm here for them 24/7. However, to be my best self I also have to remember to take time to nurture me. What do you do that nurtures your energies, your creativity and your focus? I generally have a litany of weapons in my arsenal for self-nurturing and if time allows, I do manage to fit in a few. Of late, "snowicanes" have gotten in my way on more than one occasion. I can't let that stop me because life whirls at it's frantic pace amongst the blustery winds, regardless. Having mindfulness in what we do, for ourselves and for others is so important. Stop what you are doing at your usual frantic pace and observe. What are you doing and why you are doing it? Even the simplest and sometimes mundane tasks can reflect a deeper meaning and purpose. Focusing on this and cherishing the moment can become it's own restful respite from the chaos. Might not be quite the same as a massage and spritzer but can certainly be a reminder of the meaningful aspects of everyday life that we can take for granted when we get on the Jetson treadmill. Take a deep, purposeful breath and set a focus for yourself and your day. Despite the outside influences there is even reason in the obstacles. I'm working on mindfully focusing on and noticing my life and all it's interruptions, pacing myself and waiting out the storms. The warm sun will shine again! Thanks for reading! Miriam

No comments: