23 September 2008

Sorting and Filing

Well, now that the proverbial dust is settling a tad, I'm wondering what everyone else is doing to handle the clutter that comes with the fallout of September. If you are lucky enough to work with an ad/min. you probably have it all tied together neatly with a bow and you can find what you need at a seconds' notice. If you don't you may be wishing you had a little help. It's time to get it together, so, let's help ourselves! Keeping our lives organized is an ongoing trial in persistence and dedication and this is needed in every aspect of our busy days. Whether you have billing statements to stash for future record keeping or are bogged down with paperwork from your childs' school, an organized and orderly filing system is paramount to feeling in control of your own personal clutter. I suggest visiting your nearby superstore or if you are lucky enough to have a great family owned office supply, see them first. We need to continue to support the local businesses. You might pay a tad more but the personal service will balance this out. Purchase a container suited to your needs; whether that is an accordion folder, an upright file bin or hanging folders for a desk. I love the hanging folders but I actually have various systems in place in my home. I have an accordion folder labeled with the days of the month 1-31 to help with items I need at my fingertips for the children and for me. This will include permission slips, notes to teachers, doctors' reminder notes, etc. I also utilize a triple stacking drawer set that rests comfortably nearby in the pantry. We view it daily and know that what we might be scrambling for this morning could be well kept here. Ongoing class expectations and syllabus', reports, vocabulary lists, etc. My children know where to go to find these sorts of items in a pinch. Then there is the hanging file drawer. Mine is located in my desk and relates totally to my life; bank statements, membership and organization materials, items related to my business, warranties for phones and electronics, etc. The children have their own hanging file folder, also stored in the pantry near the stacking drawers. They don't have to look far if they don't uncover what they are digging for there. Here they find the important information from their coaches with rosters, schedules, scouting information and materials for ongoing obligations in their busy lives. Color coding...yes, annoying at times but so visual and useful can also help if you are juggling multiples of the same type of paperwork. I definitely use this approach in my calendar and my filing. Either color coding the files themselves with a distinct color for each activity, subject or child, or simply marking the folders with a marker or sticky. I use a highlighter in my calendar to bring attention to any conflicts I might have with scheduling. No more surprises the morning of. I can see well in advance that I need to make provisions or adjustments to a conflict before we are in the midst of the chaos brought about by a frantic family member who can't get themselves where they need to go because someone else has the audacity to have a need at the same time. Give and take is learned and hysteria avoided each time by organizing yourself and subsequently those around you. If you're lucky it will rub off and your mission accomplished! Good luck getting it all together! Miriam

No comments: