01 September 2008

The last scramble

Well, if you are anything like me you have all your ducks in a row for the big swim upstream which for us is tomorrow. For my kids it's "Dday" and they are scrambling to the point of inducing hysterics! Somehow the last day of summer vacation means we must, and I emphasize the word must...under any conditions and circumstance...squeeze in all the fun left undone. Right now I have two boys salivating for pet turtles? Turtles...as in living and breathing little amphibs? I thought they were banned from the country? I don't know...I had one as a child, of course, creatively named Tommy...hum, but where does one get a pet turtle today? Used to sell them on the streets of NYC but no more. Unless they come with a pair of antibacterial gloves these days. Since the turtle idea will have to wait, how about maybe we head out to buy more jeans...for when it starts to get cold. And do we have any itunes gift cards, I'm gonna need to update my music. I can't possibly ride on the high school bus and talk to anybody! While I'm at it, can I get some apps too? Whatever happened to just sitting on the porch swing, enjoying the sunshine and the subtle breeze and maybe catching a MLB playoff game on the tube, or, if absolutely necessary, a pre-season Eagles game? Can't do this without the beverage of choice in hand, ya know. No, the skate park HAS to be closed today! And I know that your friend is still at the beach so don't bother calling. Why don't you finish reading your assigned reading book, or contribute to your journaling. Forms are filled in to the letter, Epipens renewed, inhalers packed in backpacks...what more do they want from me? I have nothing left to give but a lonely tear in anticipation of the sweet sound of the braking bus at the corner! Bring. It. On. Miriam

No comments: